Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Meter Maid,40 years on.




Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band – Bryan Adams
With A Little Help From My Friends – Razorlight
Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds - Athlete
Getting Better – Kaiser Chiefs
Fixing A Hole – The Fray
She’s Leaving Home – Magic Numbers
Being For The Benefit Of Mr Kite - Jamie Cullum
Within You Without You - Oasis
When I'm Sixty Four - Russell Brand
Lovely Rita – Travis
Good Morning Good Morning - The Zutons
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) –
Stereophonics


That's the final track listing for the Sgt Pepper 40th Aniiversary Tribute Recording.I have to say I'm quite impressed.I was expecting a major disaster when they announced the recording sessions.The thought of Beth Ditto singing Lovely Rita and the vomit inducing accompanying video is the stuff nightmares are made of.But, all's good here.It's a nice clean tribute to one of the Greatest Albums Of All Time.


However,I must give my two cents on who should have covered what.You saw that coming.

Oasis rocked Within you Without you,which is saying a lot for a Harrison penned song.Love Noel playing the Sitar.Such a mark out moment.Sigh!




Bryan Adams for the title track sounds terrible on paper,but give it a listen.It's pretty darn good.My Pick:The White Stripes.Think about it.Imagine Jack White singing "The act you've known for all these years".It just feels right.

Travis for Lovely Rita is spot on.It's perfection.It's the only track that sounds BETTER than the original.That's just me.Maybe it has something to do with me not getting "Battleships" out of my head.

I'm not a big fan of the Stereophonics or Jamie Cullum or the "THE" blokes who'll never make it.Still,it's not fair to say they did a bad job.The Monkeys would have been perfect for "Being for the benefit of Mr Kite" or maybe The Shore or Dirty Pretty Things.

Too bad they didn't get Chris Martin to do "Lucy in the sky".Falsetto.Period.

Ah well,at least they didn't botch it up.Definitely worth a listen.Hope they release promo videos in Sgt. Pepper gear.That'll be mega!

Until next time.

AJ

PS:Pete Doherty and Carl Barat covered "Day In The Life".Shockingly subtle.

No comments: